The Blackawton & Strete History Group
The Blackawton with Strete History Group was set up in 2001.
A few people living in both villages found they had a common interest in local history – so BASH was born.
The two villages have always had close links. Strete was an integral part of Blackawton parish until the late 19th century. In 1881 Strete became an ecclesiastical parish in its own right, but it only became a discrete civil parish in 1935 when the princely sum of £7 was allotted to establish the new Strete Parish Council.
Some early research carried out by members provided sufficient material for the Group to produce a couple of booklets on various aspects of local history. More recently BASH was involved with the production of a more ambitious book – The Land We Left Behind – which commemorated the evacuation of the area in 1943.
BASH are an active history group with around 50 members. They regularly hold meetings and activities where you can join up, buy books on the local history or just find out a bit more about their events. ....
Strete in the 1920s
History of Strete